Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Abs of Jello

My holiday week in San Diego was perfectly relaxing, but it also went by unbelievably fast. I had two sessions with DTM of hurt-so-good ART pain, and while the constant burning in my left glute (tissue damage and scarring from my Ironman Cancun 70.3 bike crash, which DTM worked over real good) had me wanting to curse him all week, in reality I am nothing but grateful. DTM is an amazing practitioner and my body is already beginning to feel better aligned and on form. Of course, I still have a long way to go, a fact which was highlighted by my weight training gym session with MJ. I’ve been doing the same monotonous gym routine on and off for the past 10 years. Talk about boring - and talk about wrong! MJ set me straight by demonstrating a variety of free weight exercises and machines that I had never before tried, as well as instructing me in start-from-scratch relearning of those which I thought I was performing properly. She very aptly pointed out the weakness in my core muscles, which contribute to poor posture and a poochy belly. It’s wonderful to have a friend and coach who is so obviously knowledgeable, who patiently explains the method and reasoning to all that she’s teaching me, and who’s also stern enough not to let me slide into poor form or unsafe practices. She’s honest in her assessment of my body’s strengths and weaknesses, and is gentle but clear in pointing out where I need improvement. With some disciplined practice, I hope to master these exercises in no time. And I am so looking forward to my 6-pack abs!

Side note: I thought that for the viewing pleasure of my readers, I would provide before and after photos of my soon-to-be-ripped-and-toned biceps (sorry, I’m a bit too body-conscious to take a close up of my belly!). While attempting to take the before image myself, I was so focused on perfecting a pose that I let the camera slip from my opposite hand, crashing to the tile floor below. Lesson learned: vanity has a price. $299 to be exact.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the camera Holly. Hope this year is going to be a good one for you,

    ReplyDelete